Wiki E/M Code in Documentation

randiroyder

Networker
Best answers
I work for a large Hospitalist group. My doctors do their own E/M coding. Our HIM depart abstract the code from the documentation. They are now wanting the doctors to put their E/M code at the bottom of their dictation/handwritten note. We do not think this is necessary since they are abstracting. Does anyone know if there is a compliance rule or anything from Medicare stating that a physician can or can not add their code to their documentation?

I appreciate any help I can get on this one.

Thanks

I work for a large Hospitalist group. My doctors do their own E/M coding. Our HIM depart abstract the code from the documentation. They are now wanting the doctors to put their E/M code at the bottom of their dictation/handwritten note. We do not think this is necessary since they are abstracting. Does anyone know if there is a compliance rule or anything from Medicare stating that a physician can or can not add their code to their documentation?

I appreciate any help I can get on this one.

Thanks

Many of our doctors on EMR have it on theirs, so I don't think there's a rule requiring/prohibiting it to be on there...Sorry!:eek:

Oh, and by the way...

I can't say that I approve of you avatar! I'm up here in Red Raider country, though! ;) You guys avoiding the fires in Temple?

We are trying to stay clear of them. Last Friday we were covered with pretty thick smoke from the fires.

Red Raiders, I hope you are not a backer. Can I change you over to Longhorns? You would be so much happer. LOL:)