Wiki E&M coding refresher/HELP!

Best answers
Hi there,

I have been working in a subspecialty since I became a CPC IN 2000, and most of our coding is time based. I urgently need to brush up on Evaluation and Management coding, most likely 1995 guidelines. Can anyone recommend a no cost/lower cost way to do this? Are there workbooks available? I know I just need practice. I'm getting so overwhelmed and am not quite sure where to go with this. I have some worksheets/reference guides, but am looking for a bit more than that. Is it best to just memorize all of the components of each area, along with the numbers associated for the level?

Thanks for your help!
Susan

EM 1995 Documentation Guidelines

I agree with skembretson EM University is a good place to start. They also have a case of the week (Coding Rounds) which you code select the LOS you feel is appropriate then he tells you the answer and goes through the steps to get the answer.

http://emuniversity.com/

Also check with your local Medicare Contractor. Mine (Highmark Medicare Services J-12 - https://www.highmarkmedicareservices.com/calendar/partb/index.html) offer different EM coding webinars quarterly. The accept both 1995 & 1997 however the training they provide is on 1995. For the most part the provider will fare better with the 1995 EM DG.

Cheryl

Don't even try to memorize

Susan,
Please don't stress out trying to memorize E/M guidelines. People aske me for advice on E/M all the time.
I tell you ... I ALWAYS use my little audit tool.

So don't stress over memorizing anything. Just get a tool you are comfortable with and use it.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
Agreed about Tess

Make no mistake....Tess is the queen of E/M!!!

Her great advice helped me along the way to obtaining the CEMC. Her advice of finding an audit tool that you like and use it all the time is the best. There is no way you can memorize all the intricacies of E/M coding, and using an audit tool (no matter which one you like) is so helpful because it breaks down the process into manageable pieces.

Make no mistake....Tess is the queen of E/M!!!

Also agreed about Tess!! She always has wonderful advice.

I have several audit tools that I've received from other users on here; I'll be happy to pass them along, just message me your fax or email info. :D

Hi,

Can you please share it to me also.My mail id :careersnalini@gmail.com

Thank you so much,
Nalini CPC:)

Susan,
Please don't stress out trying to memorize E/M guidelines. People aske me for advice on E/M all the time. Some have even referred to me as "The E/M Queen."

So don't stress over memorizing anything. Just get a tool you are comfortable with and use it.

Hope that helps.

Tessa,
I would love more than anything at this point a tool that can help me with my E/M Coding. Can you please email me your "Little audit tool"

Thank you So much!!
kmsm.hcc@gmail.com

I just blew an interview over E&m's because I haven't coded them in probably 10 years. Our EMR coded them for us or the hospital EMR did. I did the procedures, which I prefer. Also, I think you can get 3 coders together and they will probably interpret an E&M code differently. I too need to study up on them. Any help will be appreciated as I will be taking the GSCS exam soon. My email address is deborahharden@me.com.

Online E&M course advice

Can anyone advise the best E&M online course? I understand the basics but want a refresher. I see AAPC offers one, E&M University offers one but would like someone's opinion on the subject. ( When I coded visits way back when I used codes 90010,90500,90450, 90630. LOL)

I have several audit tools that I've received from other users on here; I'll be happy to pass them along, just message me your fax or email info. :D

I am always looking for tools to use and would very much appreciate if you would share yours with me! Thank you, Meagan :O)

My email address:

ljgcpc@gmail.com

Lorie

Hello,

I'm a medical records reviewer for a health insurance and E&M Level of service plays a major role when it comes to auditing claims, could be kind enough to also email me these tools, so i can use this as a guidence.

Would be greatly appriciated...

Thanks!

JJS8606@yahoo.com

Audit tools....

Hi Tess,
I would love to know what your little audit tool is... I could really use this.

Susan,
Please don't stress out trying to memorize E/M guidelines. People aske me for advice on E/M all the time.

Hope that helps.

Hey all,

I certainly don't mind sending out the audit tools mentioned above to anyone that would like to request them; however I haven't had much time lately to keep up with this thread. Please feel free to email me directly to request them, at mhstrauss80@gmail.com. Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Hey all,

I certainly don't mind sending out the audit tools mentioned above to anyone that would like to request them; however I haven't had much time lately to keep up with this thread. Please feel free to email me directly to request them, at mhstrauss80@gmail.com. Thanks! :D

Please stop replying to this thread... as Meagan indicated - message her directly. Thanks.

Audit tools

I would like in on this as well please! My office just purchased a new EMR that lets the physicians figure their own E/M. I'm auditing their entries but it makes me nervous. My email at work is athfw@comcast.net. THanks again!

Would very much appreciate any..am newer to E/M & finding it tough trying to learn it on my own

Thanks so much
Rebecca
rbognar@wiurology.com