Wiki E/m for a drug screening encounter

Restevez1989

Networker
Best answers
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what would be the appropriate office visit code and ICD-10 code for a patient that presents to my office for a drug screening test for employment?

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what would be the appropriate office visit code and ICD-10 code for a patient that presents to my office for a drug screening test for employment?

Z02.1 is the diagnosis, but you haven't provided enough information to be able to select an office visit code in this situation - there's no E/M code for the administration of a drug screening. What E/M service was provided or what problem was being evaluated and managed?

Exactly, I don't know what to bill in this scenario. This patient presents with no complaints just needs a drug screening done for work. I feel the best option would be a flat fee but I wanted to check with my professionals on here ;)

You could charge a flat fee, but I wouldn't use a code or bill it to an insurance company - if they pay in error you'll just end up having to refund the money. This should be covered by the patient's prospective employer and you could invoice that company, or else have the patient pay and provide a receipt that they could submit for reimbursement.