Wiki E/M level for planned procedure

shyde

New
Best answers
I am a new coder working for a Urology office. My provider feels he should be able to bill an E/M visit for a planned diagnostic cystoscopy in the office due to the time he spends discussing with the patient his findings. These procedures are scheduled at the patients prior office visit. I disagree, wouldn't his discussion of findings be included with the cystoscopy coding? Thank you for any help.

This depends on what the doctor and patient talked about afterwards, and more importantly, what is documented. remember the golden rule of coding: if it isn't documented, it didn't happen!

If the patient comes in for the cysto, and all the doctor discusses afterwards is the results, then this is included in the global payment for the cysto. If the discussion of the results leads to another discussion of additional treatment and/or further workup, as long as the additional details are documented then he could and should bill for the additional time spent discussing this treatment plan. It is often easier to bill for this E/M based on his time, since it is all under the "counselling and/or coordination of care" umbrella. Of course he would have to document the time spent and the qualifying statement about this time along with the details of the discussion.

For example: cysto done for obstructive uropathy shows enlarged prostate causing obstruction. The doctor tells the patient this, and in addition discusses possiple surgical options such as TURP, Greenlight, medications, etc and the risk, benefits, side effects of each, then he should bill for that discussion as long as it is documented "in addition to the discussion of the results, I spent an additional 13 minutes with the patient discussion various treatment options such as TURP, Greenlight, medication therapy as well as side effects and risks/benefits. More than 50% of this time was spent in counselling and coordination of care with the patient during a face to face encounter."