Wiki E/M visits in global package

gadawg90

New
Best answers
We just started billing for an OB/GYN and I have a question about what CPT code to use for the office visits pre and post delivery. I realize that we cannot bill these out but what code do we use to document that the visit took place? Can we make up our own code or is there a specific code that we should use for audit purposes? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brenda Dotterweich, CPC
Davenport, IA

We created our own generic code, OBR, to record each routine OB visit. These of course are not billed to insurance through out the pregnancy but we do balance them to the OB record at the end of care when billing out the global fee. Hope this helps.

I use code 0500F for the initial prenatal assessment in which the Prenatal record is started. Then 0502F for ROB(routine antepartum) visits that will be included in the global code. If I bill the global post-partum, I use 0503F and indicate if this is a 2 week or 6 week visit. These are the coded that WA State Medicaid dictate but they work for all claims since there is no charge attached and they are for tracking only.
Bonny