Wiki E&m visits plus dmv forms

VICKYLEE

Best answers
:) We were told that now, starting at a certain age, our doctors maybe required to complete a DMV (dept of Motor Vehicle) form on our pts with certain conditions. Example: Pt comes in for checkup (HTN, hyperlipidemia, renal insufficiency, headaches) AND DMV form completion (vision-an eye dr completed his part but there is a part for her family dr also). Our doctor addresses all of these problems plus completes this form. My office manager wants to know if this form completion is considered "incidental" to checkup and included under E&M code or should the E&M code be a "split visit"

Thanks!
Vicky

I would think it should be included with the E&M. As long as it is at the same time as the visit/work up.

Required by whom? I am assuming the DMV for the patient to maintain their ability to drive or determine what restrictions are put on them.

Depending on how time consuming/labor intensive the form is I think you have 2 options.

If it is something simple like they check a few boxes and sign it I would include it with the visit.

If it is major paperwork they have to fill out I would charge the patient for form completion. This is self pay, usually something like $10, whatever your office sets up.

Just my opinion,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC