Wiki e/m vs global

jackiems

Networker
Best answers
A pt comes in 11/4 with cough, congestion and skin lesions. Final dx is asthma and abscess and skin lesion. He performs an I & D on the abscess which has a 10 global period. He also performs a biopsy on the lesion. He prescribes meds for the asthma. Tells the pt to f/u in 2 days for the abscess and biopsy. Pt comes back on 11/6 and is specifcally scheduled for the f/u of abscess. Pt states she is still coughing, he does nothing else for the cough besides tell her to continue the meds. Doc wants to bill for an office visit because she mentioned the cough but we were thinking that it should be the global period 99024 since she was there to f/u on the abscess.
I know if we do bill for the ov, then we need the 24 mod on it.
Any thoughts?

I would agree it's not billable, it is in global. If he had done any further treatment then I would say you could get away with it, but the documentation would not support it as you state.

Emily, CPC-A

A pt comes in 11/4 with cough, congestion and skin lesions. Final dx is asthma and abscess and skin lesion. He performs an I & D on the abscess which has a 10 global period. He also performs a biopsy on the lesion. He prescribes meds for the asthma. Tells the pt to f/u in 2 days for the abscess and biopsy. Pt comes back on 11/6 and is specifcally scheduled for the f/u of abscess. Pt states she is still coughing, he does nothing else for the cough besides tell her to continue the meds. Doc wants to bill for an office visit because she mentioned the cough but we were thinking that it should be the global period 99024 since she was there to f/u on the abscess.
I know if we do bill for the ov, then we need the 24 mod on it.
Any thoughts?

What documentation is there concerning the cough? Did he/she examine the patient, x-ray...?