Wiki E/M vs Ophthalmological Services?

NBurroughs 1

Best answers
I am a newbie and/or recent honors graduate (ASMBC/not certified) and have an opportunity to work for my Optomatrist in his outpatient facility in the busy season in Sept. and of course very nervous. My questions are; how do you know when would you use an E/M code? How would you recognize the levels of of the E/M services?
And also, is there an Annual Exam code in the Medicine section?
Thank You:)

When I worked in an Ophthalmologist's office 7 years ago this is the way I remembered which one to use. If a patient is coming in for conjunctivitis, FB, injury, macular degeneration, diabetes, etc. it would fall under an E/M CPT. If the pt was coming in for a routine eye exam for prescription, it would fall under the 92--- code.

If you are billing VSP, they will NOT accept 99--- CPT codes for billing. They are only vision payors.

There is not a "routine preventive" exam like there is a routine physical exam.

Thank You Sheri !

:
When I worked in an Ophthalmologist's office 7 years ago this is the way I remembered which one to use. If a patient is coming in for conjunctivitis, FB, injury, macular degeneration, diabetes, etc. it would fall under an E/M CPT. If the pt was coming in for a routine eye exam for prescription, it would fall under the 92--- code.

If you are billing VSP, they will NOT accept 99--- CPT codes for billing. They are only vision payors.

There is not a "routine preventive" exam like there is a routine physical exam.

Thank you Sheri for your timely response. Now I can go in with more confidence which means a great deal to me again, Thank You sincerely Nancy Burroughs.