Wiki E/M w/known fracture

codegirl0422

Expert
Best answers
Hello Everyone,

We are having a discussion and I was to see what you guys think:

If a patient comes in with a known fracture (referred by their PCP, urgent care clinic or ER), would a new patient visit (or established) be billed with modifier 57 with the fracture cpt code? Even though the patient comes in with a known fracture, our doctors are still having to do the medical decision making on how to handle the fracture. And most of the time, the doctor has never seen the patient, so he is doing the necessary history and exam.

Thanks, would you have anything in writing or direct me to the information. That is what I thought but several of us here disagree on this.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jul08/managing2.asp
“Global” reporting of the services by using the 90-day, global fracture code with or without reporting the initial evaluation and management (E&M) service that resulted in the decision for closed treatment,

Our office uses the "global" fracture care, therefore, we bill the visit new/ est with -57 only if this is the first time we are treating this fracture.

Thanks

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jul08/managing2.asp
“Global” reporting of the services by using the 90-day, global fracture code with or without reporting the initial evaluation and management (E&M) service that resulted in the decision for closed treatment,

Our office uses the "global" fracture care, therefore, we bill the visit new/ est with -57 only if this is the first time we are treating this fracture.

It was my understanding the the -57 modifier is decision for surgery, shouldn't the modifier be -25 for closed treatment. Also, a new patient is
one that has not been seen in your practice for 3 years.

Closed treatment is "major surgery"

Since fracture care carries a 90-day global period it is considered "major surgery" even though there is no incision (i.e. closed treatment).

The -57 modifier is the appropriate one to use.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC