Wiki E/M with minor procedures on the same day

ljones88

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
I have a question regarding when we can consider the drugs/meds used for a procedure in our leveling for the E/M and when we can't.
If a patient comes to the ED for a laceration, the provider uses lidocaine gel (LET mixture, specifically) to numb the skin before applying dermabond, can we use the meds (LET and dermabond) in our leveling for the E/M?
Previously, I was under the impression that any and all drugs, supplies, ,eds, etc used for a procedure could not also be considered when it came to leveling the E/M but maybe I'm wrong...
For example, I was previously told if we are billing the laceration repair, and the E/M, we would not use the LET or dermabond in leveling the e/m (meaning we wouldn't tick off the box for "Prescription Management" on the E/M Table under Moderate for the E/M's Risk). Is there any written rule about this? Im getting so hung up on this rule cause where Im at now, they DO take those drugs into consideration with leveling their E/Ms but alas no one can give me solid evidence telling me this is the way they should be taking in the information when leveling the E/M.