Wiki E&M with Suspected Condition Not Found

smitkaty

New
Best answers
Newish to coding. Hopign someone can help arm me with some confidence to push back on the health plan...

Child presented to cardiology for some testing based on father's history of massive heart attack at an extremely young age. Results were normal so we billed an office visit E/M and Diagnosis V717 ?Observation for suspected cardiovascular disease?, V812 ?Screening for other and unspecified cardiovascular conditions? and V1749 ?Family history of other cardiovascular diseases?

Payor is denying stating that we MUST use a well visit CPT when billing any V code. I know this isn't correct, we didn't do a well visit. I'm having trouble finding documentation to back me up on this argument.

Any assistance is greatly apprecaited!

They are incorrect regarding the usage of the V codes. However to use the V71 series(z03) you would need some signs or symtoms to suspect a problem. If you are screening due to family history, you would use the screening plus the family history. Look in the guidelines under the V chapter definitions and instructions and forward these to the payer.