• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

E29.1 and E78.00 – How should the Excludes1 note for 5-alpha-reductase deficiency be applied?

Messages
1
Location
Homestead, FL
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding E29.1 (Testicular hypofunction) and E78.00 (Pure hypercholesterolemia, unspecified).

E78.00 has an Excludes1 note for 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (E29.1).

My question is: If the provider documents E29.1 but describes the condition as hypogonadism or testicular hypofunction, rather than specifically documenting 5-alpha-reductase deficiency, can E29.1 still be reported together with E78.00? In other words, does the Excludes1 apply to E29.1 as a whole, or specifically to the 5-alpha-reductase deficiency represented by E29.1?

I want to make sure I am interpreting the Excludes1 correctly when the provider is using E29.1 for a different condition such as hypogonadism.

Thank you!
 
Following. I have a similar question I have not found a good answer for when a patient has diverticulosis, k57, with congenital looping of colon, q43.8. k57 has an excludes 1 for q43.8 but it's for congenital diverticulum when that's not the only condition covered by q43.8.
 
Top