Wiki early term delivery

Best answers
I need help with ICD-10 code for a delivery of a patient that came a 38weeks of gestation in labor, who delivered vaginally. What should the admission code be? I thought O80 was appropriate but she had a laceration during delivery O70.0 but how can I identify that the patient came in with contractions and in labor? What additional code can I use?

I would bill for the laceration, especially if the laceration was over third degree. Don't forget with a third degree and bigger laceration you can bill 12041.

I need help with ICD-10 code for a delivery of a patient that came a 38weeks of gestation in labor, who delivered vaginally. What should the admission code be? I thought O80 was appropriate but she had a laceration during delivery O70.0 but how can I identify that the patient came in with contractions and in labor? What additional code can I use?
A pregnancy is considered full term at 39 weeks. From 37 weeks through 38 weeks and 6 days, babies are considered "early term", but to be preterm it would have to be before 37 weeks. To use O80 you must first have a full term pregnancy. If that were the case, then you would still use O80 if the patient only required the typical episiotomy repair (not a 3rd or 4th degree repair). Since you seem to imply she was early term, you would report the birth with an O42.02, O42.12 or O42.92 code since it was preterm labor (after 37 weeks) and then the O70.0 code for the laceration if the repair was billable (as a first or second degree laceration repair is included as expected work in the delivery).