Wiki ECGs from personal apple watch for a patient

HCBO2018

Best answers
Has anyone billed insurance carriers for an ecg done from your own apple watch? I have a provider who sees patients in the home/domiciliary care setting that states it fits criteria of 1-lead and can be used to refer to cardiology, but I struggle with billing it because the watch is registered to the provider, not the patient, no name/dob is on the strip that is printed, no way to register each time for the specific patient. If anyone has any definitive information that would classify it in 93042 or G2010 I would appreciate the input.

I couldn't find any references from Apple or the FDA to state that it's allowable to use the way your physician is using it. I would think that if it was permissible for that use Apple would be marketing the heck out of it and the information would be readily available & easy to find.

This was what I could find from Apple and the FDA, and to me, it doesn't clearly state that the physician can use the physician's own Apple Watch in the patient's home/domicile for a reading.

Again, Apple made the information below really easy to find and included citations to FDA policy. I'd think that they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it could be used the way your physician is suggesting. That's my personal opinion and interpretation. Read the linked documents below and see what you think.

Here's the document from Apple showing limited temporary approval from the FDA to use the app for the patient to submit a strip to the physician for interpretation.

This limited temporary approval appears to have been done to facilitate telemedicine during the pandemic to minimize face-to-face exposure between the provider and the patient. It doesn't appear to cover face-to-face physician visits, IMO.

From the FDA document cited by Apple (can be found on page 4):

FDA is issuing this guidance to provide a policy to help expand the availability and capability of non-invasive remote monitoring devices to facilitate patient monitoring while reducing patient and healthcare provider contact and exposure to COVID-19 for the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency. This policy is intended to remain in effect only for the duration of the public health emergency related to COVID-19 declared by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) on January 31, 2020, effective January 27, 2020, including any renewals made by the HHS Secretary in accordance with section 319(a)(2) of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act (42 U.S.C. 247d(a)(2)).

Thank you so very much for the information. I will continue to follow now that I know where I can look for the info. Your time is most appreciated.