Wiki Echo Coding

Best answers
I am looking for knowledge in billing for codes 93307,93320 and 93325 are these billed with a modifier, and can you bill the dx as the symptom or do you have to wait for the report and bill with the findings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Elizabeth, CPC

I bill for echo's frequently and as of the first of the year, you cannot bill those three codes together. If you are doing a complete echo with the spectral doppler and color doppler you need to use the code 93306. That is the new code this year for a complete echo. You can bill the 93307 if you do not include the spectral or color dopplers.

I bill with both types of dx's. If the report comes back and it's a fairly normal echo, then I will bill with the symptoms. If it comes back with a definitive dx then I use that instead.

I hope this helps you.

CPT 93307 Was reviewed???

So Now we are unable to bill 93307-93320-93325 for a complete echo. does that mean that CPT 93306 is composed of the 3 CPTs. does 93306 capture all 3 (previously reported) components or must we attach add on codes??? PLEASE HELP!

Marisela A.

CPT 93307 Was reviewed???

So Now we are unable to bill 93307-93320-93325 for a complete echo. does that mean that CPT 93306 is composed of the 3 CPTs. does 93306 capture all 3 (previously reported) components or must we attach add on codes??? PLEASE HELP!

Marisela A.:confused:

malmj

As the modifier question for the echoes, you would use a modifier 26 if the doctor does not own his own equipment or does the echo at a hospital. If the echo is done in the cardiologist office and he owns the equipment you would not use a modifier at all. Hope this helps.

Marisela A.:confused:

Yes to 99306 - includes spectral doppler and color flow doppler.

As of the first of the year we use the one CPT 93307 to represent all 3 codes for a complete echo. I wait until the physician has dictated his completed report to code my diagnoses. Likewise, if it is normal, i use the reasons for the test. If not, I use the diagnoses he gives me in his report.