Wiki Echo

jlb102780

Guru
Best answers
Hi group,

I have a question regarding echo studies. I have a provider asking me specifically about billing complete echo's with contrast optimization and also billing complete echo's with LV strain. We would only be billing the professional portion. The provider stated a lot more goes into those studies vs just a regular complete echo (93306-26). I can not find anything regarding billing for these types of studies however.

In my CCC study guide, I did find a section that stated "There is no code to describe contrast administration during a regular echocardiography study, although such a code may be developed in the future." and on the strain echo I found an article stating "its possible that it could be considered to be separate like the Doppler, but its unlikely that there will be an added reimbursement for it." That's pretty much all I could locate regarding these studies.

Is anyone else seeing studies like these? Any advise or guidance would be appreciated.

Echo's w/ Contrast

Hi Jammie :),

I agree with our finding, we have not been able to locate anything related to additional billing for contrast w/ echo. 93352- is specifically for Stress Echo's. If you find anything please post. Thanks and congrats on your new Certification...

Our cardiology group frequently uses contrast during echocardiograms. We bill the standard complete echo code 93306 and also capture the drug codes - either Q99957 for Definity or Q9956 for Optison.