Wiki Echo

tawneymurphy

Contributor
Best answers
Good Morning!

I work for a practice in Spokane, a couple times a month a few of our providers will interpret echo's for Newport which means we send some of our MA's up to Newport with our equipment to see those patients. There are a few of those patients that have a status if Inpatient which means that they are in the hospital (Inpatient Newport Hospital would be the POS). As of now we are coding these visits with two separate tickets. One ticket has a modifier 26 for the interpretation and a second ticket with a TC modifier.

I am confused on why we have two tickets being billed to the same place. No one in the practice i work for can seem to answer that question.

Does anyone kind of have a similar situation?

I think you would be fine billing one CPT with no modifiers. If you both own the equipment and provide the interpretation, you can bill for the global service (ie both the 26 and TC portions of the fee).

You might wait for a second opinion here, but I'm fairly certain you only need one claim with one CPT. It should reimburse the same as or similar to when you were billing two separate claims with the modifiers.