* drives up to ED, stays in car
* nurse does triage
* then nurse does a Covid swab
* Dr comes out to talk to patient for a few minutes
* patient leaves

Thanks in advance
Is there an ER report in file?

Suchang78-
Yes, there is an ER report. I see many of these daily, all with reports. I can also speak from my own experience. My report has the HPI and ROS completed; I'm assuming from the nurses/triage notes. Dr basically just said to self quarantine and would call with the results.
Our Level 3 describes: "Preparation for lab tests described in CPT 80048-87999. (We exclude clean catch urine, using Level 2).
Nasal swab by ER nurse vs ex: Phleb blood draw.

Suchang78-
Yes, there is an ER report. I see many of these daily, all with reports. I can also speak from my own experience. My report has the HPI and ROS completed; I'm assuming from the nurses/triage notes. Dr basically just said to self quarantine and would call with the results.
Our Level 3 describes: "Preparation for lab tests described in CPT 80048-87999. (We exclude clean catch urine, using Level 2).
Nasal swab by ER nurse vs ex: Phleb blood draw.
Usually, when I code ER, If the swab test is positive, it is level 3.
If it is negative, assign the EM level is based on what chief complained.
I assign the EM level is from what final diagnosis/impression from ER report, not from nurse/triage notes. When I use nurse/triage notes when I need to confirm what ER doctor/NP/PA has done on patient. Ex., patient has finger fracture/dislocation, and ER doctor does not mention splint application in report, I check the nurse/triage notes to make sure it is done that I wont miss coding it.

Last edited:
I assign the EM level is from what final diagnosis/impression from ER report, not from nurse/triage notes. When I use nurse/triage notes when I need to confirm what ER doctor/NP/PA has done on patient. Ex., patient has finger fracture/dislocation, and ER doctor does not mention splint application in report, I check the nurse/triage notes to make sure it is done that I wont miss coding it.
Okay, I'll bite. What about a positive swab makes it automatically a level 3?

Okay, I'll bite. What about a positive swab makes it automatically a level 3?
check your facility's coding policies. When patient is tested positive without other diagnoses, we assign level 3.

Last edited:
Thanks Suchang, I appreciate your feedback.

We use the Facility Level Coding Guidelines from ACEP. Level III states: Preparation for lab tests described in CPT 80048-87999 codes.
(A clean catch urine is a Level II, even though the CPT code is in the above grouping).
These Covid swabs are not collected by a phlebotomist, but is collected by the nurse in the parking lot. Level III seemed high for this to me, whether negative or positive.