Wiki EDC TENDON REPAIR

LIVE2CODE

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
This surgery started out as repair but turned into Tendoesis. Looking at 26471 & 25301. any suggestions

I then made a 7 cm longitudinal incision over the dorsal wrist. I dissected down onto the EDC tendons. I opened up the retinaculum to expose the EDC tendons. The EDC tendon to the ring finger was completely ruptured proximal to the retinaculum. It was not amenable to primary repair as this was a chronic condition. I therefore set the tension appropriately by extending the MCP joint to the right ring finger and performed a tenodesis of the distal EDC tendon to the right ring finger to the EDC tendon of the middle finger, thus repairing the ruptured EDC tendon to the ring finger. I did this using a Pulvertaft weave using 3-0 Ethibond suture. She tolerated tenodesis without complication. Anatomic tension was set and confirmed on direct inspection. I then released the tourniquet. I copious irrigated wound. I cauterize all bleeders. I closed the retinaculum with 3-0 Ethibond suture. I closed the skin with 4-0 chromic suture. I then placed the patient in a well-padded volar resting splint with the fingers in full extension.