Education for BH and Psych Billing

Kpetruso

New
Best answers
Can anyone recommend a good resource for training a new biller for BH and Psychiatry Billing? Seems that locally all has been learned on the job. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

ckeeney

Networker
Best answers
I had to learn on my own for the most part. I found a lot of useful information from Medicare Learning Network, the American Psychiatric Association, and the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Since there is no AAPC credential for this specialty, I haven't found any specific courses. I do have some PowerPoint presentations from the previous coder/auditor at my place of employment, but they are copyrighted so I can't share. One of these is E-M Documentation Guidelines for Psychiatric Services by Deborah Grider published by Blue & Co. For diagnosis coding you need to become familiar with the DSM-5 and how it translates to ICD-10.

chrissyfegan

Contributor
Best answers
I recently attended a one day seminar with Cross Country Education, entitled Coding and Billing for Mental Health Services. I am not new to the specialty, but some others in attendance were and I felt most of the info was at a good pace for all of us. Might be worth checking out since there are so few trainings in BH.