Wiki education on asthma devices

andrews24

Best answers
can anyone tell me if I can bill separately for educating a patient on how to use the spacer on a metered dose inhaler?

if it is performed by the non physician staff and they are trained to provide this education then use the 98960 code but it must be a min of 16 minutes

Does it have to be done by a non physician, or can the physician provide the training on the device? Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Debra,
Can an MA do the education on how to use the asthma device, is so what are the training requirements?

98960 is a non physician code. As far as requirements if you have the AMA version of the CPT book there is an excellent explanation section for this code.

asthma education

We are a pediatrics office, so we would be doing the asthma education the same day the patient came into the office for a sick visit. Would I be billing the 98960 along with the e/m code with a modifier. Im not sure how to bill this code,(HELP) also the MA would be doing the education , I would still bill under the Drs. tax id correct since the dr prescribed the education? Please help.

Code 98960 is reported only when a standardized curriculum is used to teach patient self-management by nonphysicians (who cannot report E/M codes). For instruction on proper use of a nebulizer with spacer, see code 94664. Be sure to check the payers code edits for bundling with other services on the same date.

cpc

if the Dr see's the patient in the office for a EPSDT or an office visit on the same day as the MA does self-mgmt education & training, would I bill with the appropriate e/m code with a modifier 25? And would I bill under the Drs tax id even though the code is a non-physician code. thanks for any help.

CPT 98960 Asthma Educator teaching in-pt

May we use Code 98960 for in-patient teaching. This would be used for pt. with Asthma Exacerbation

Teaching patient to use inhaler

can anyone tell me if I can bill separately for educating a patient on how to use the spacer on a metered dose inhaler?
The correct code for this is 94664, demonstration and/or evaluation of patient utilization of an aerosol generator, nebulizer, metered dose inhaler or IPPB device. This service is often provided incident-to the physician's E/M service. The Medicaid NCCI manual instructs the following about this code. "9. CPT code 94640 (pressurized or non-pressurized inhalation treatment for acute airway obstruction...) and CPT code 94664 (demonstration and/or evaluation of patient utilization of an aerosol generator...) generally should not be reported for the same patient encounter. The demonstration and/or evaluation described by CPT code 94664 is included in CPT code 94640 if it utilizes the same device (e.g., aerosol generator) that is used in the performance of CPT code 94640. If performed at separate patient encounters on the same date of service, the two services may be reported separately."

Private payers may have differing policy on payment of the two services.
Cindy