Wiki EEG During Sleep Study

lfriedman200

Best answers
As we all probably know, EEG leads are typically used during a sleep study to measure body and brain activity to assist in diagnosing sleep disorders. One of our Neurologists is not only an Epileptologist, but he is also boarded in sleep medicine. He will when indicated, order a sleep study with "seizure montage". Additional electrodes are placed beyond the 'norm'. The physician is not only looking to diagnose sleep disorders but also suspects seizures and is looking for data related to the same. It will take the doctor three times as long to interpret. I know we cannot bill a 'standard' EEG with a sleep study, but does anyone have any experience/information regarding regulations and reimbursement related to a sleep study with seizure montage?

I would recommend getting a product that can check your codes for NCCI edits. This will help determine if the two codes can be billed together or need a modifier.

When EEG monitoring is performed during a sleep study, it is usually video EEG, so it would most likely be 95951 with a 52 modifier because that is a 24-hour code, and monitoring was probably less than 12 hours because sleep studies do not often last that long. This has just been the usual situation in my experience, you will have to review your documentation to see if it sounds like what I'm describing is what your physician performed.