Wiki Egbus

Lee Sullivan

Best answers
I have a provder that uses this abbreviation as part of his visit documentation. He believes this appropriate and should be counted as 5 body parts examimed. Has anyone ever used it?
EGBUS: external genitalia, Bartholin's glands, urethra & Skene's glands: EGD:
Here the definition looks like it's one system. EBUS-WLN (within normal Limits) How would this be credited for an audit as one?

Last edited:
I have a provder that uses this abbreviation as part of his visit documentation. He believes this appropriate and should be counted as 5 body parts examimed. Has anyone ever used it?

Never seen that one before, have to love the providers that make up their own abbreviations! I don't believe that would fly in an audit to represent 5 body parts examined....

I have seen that abbreviation before. I would only count them as bullet points as 97 guidelines allow. Otherwise, I consider it to be 1 body system.

Here are the 97 Guidelines Bullet points for the Female Pelvic Exam:

FEMALE:
Pelvic examination (with or without specimen collection for smears and cultures), including
• Examination of external genitalia (eg, general appearance, hair distribution, lesions) and
vagina (eg, general appearance, estrogen effect, discharge, lesions, pelvic support,
cystocele, rectocele)
• Examination of urethra (eg, masses, tenderness, scarring)
• Examination of bladder (eg, fullness, masses, tenderness)
• Cervix (eg, general appearance, lesions, discharge)
C Uterus (eg, size, contour, position, mobility, tenderness, consistency, descent or support)
C Adnexa/parametria (eg, masses, tenderness, organomegaly, nodularity)

EGBUS: external genitalia, Bartholin's glands, urethra & Skene's glands: EGD:
Here the definition looks like it's one system. EBUS-WLN (within normal Limits) How would this be credited for an audit as one?

At best that counts for two bullet points on the 1997 guidelines - the external genitalia and the urethra. And the abbreviation needs to be listed somewhere so an auditor would know what that stands for.