Wiki EGD v small intestine endo coding

cindyseyer

Best answers
Our doctor scoped to the jejunum and took bx of gastric erosions, cauterized gastric varices and cauterized jejunal varices. Would you code only 44366 and 44361-59 even though the bx was gastric? Or would you code 44366 with 43239-59? I don't think I've ever been able to definitively determine correct coding scenario in these cases; it is confusing since sm bowel endos pay less than EGD's. Thanks for your input.

I'll be interested in any discussion we can generate about this topic because I have had so many debates on this subject. Here are my thoughts:

CCI requires that we code the most comprehensive code and an example I use is the sigmoidoscopy / colonoscopy services and apply the same theory to EGD / enteroscopy services. The enteroscopy is more extensive than the EGD as the colonoscopy is more extensive than sigmoidoscopy. So, if a scope reaches the TI and a biopsy (or any intervention) is taken from the sigmoid colon, the colonoscopy with biopsy code is used. Therefore, if an enteroscopy is done, and a biopsy is taken from the esophagus or stomach, the enteroscopy with biopsy code is used.

Applying this theory to your coding scenario, I would code 44366-59, 44361.

Many physicians dispute this coding concept and are reluctant to code following this concept stating their intent was to do EGD or that enteroscopy requires a different scope.

I posed this question to the AMA through their "CPT Assistant," but they have not responded.

Any other thoughts?

I agree with Jenny in that codes 44366, 44361 should be used. The scope reached beyond the second portion of the duodenum. A biopsy does not need to occur at the end point of the scope. A biopsy is recorded, coded, and billed if done anywhere along the way, including the stomach.

A small intestine enteroscopy was done, along with a biopsy, along with control of bleeding. Neither code 44361 or 44366 states where the biopsy/control is to be done.

V. Davis, CPC
GI, General Surgery