Wiki EKG 93010 bundle denials E/M inpatient and outpatient codes -- need coding guidelines -- unable to find online

she803

Guru
Best answers
Good afternoon everyone!
We work at a local hospital and have been receiving A LOT of EKG 93010 denials bundling with both E/M inpatient and outpatient codes--these denials are mostly from BCBS HMO and BCBS PPO.

Btw, these EKG's were billed separately on the same service dates as the E/M codes; not during the same encounter. Therefore, some of these E/M codes were billed by different providers of the same specialty and providers of different specialties.

I've spent several hours online researching for EKG bundling coding guidelines including CMS.gov, but have been unsuccessful unfortunately. I'm unable to find NCCI/CCI modifier indicator edits for 93010 with outpatient/inpatient E/M codes

The only online guidelines found were EKG's billed with critical care, but even those online sources were conflicting. A few online sources stated 93010 and critical care can be billed separately, but there were other online sources stating that 93010 is bundled with critical care.

Modifier -25 were appended to these E/M codes but 93010 still denied as bundled services.
We need to know whether or not to append modifier -59 to 93010's or if these bundling denials correct?

Can someone knowledgeable of this information provide the appropriate guidelines from a reputable online source?

Thank you in advance for your assistance! :)

Last edited:
Hi there, for starters, you can always find Medicare's complete and current list of NCCI edits, including modifier indicators here: https://www.cms.gov/medicare-medica...-correct-coding-initiative-ncci/ncci-medicare.

However, the only EKG/EM edit I see bundles 99211 into the EKG. A modifier to unbundle the E/M visit can be used when appropriate. Is it possible that BCBS uses a different edit system or has a policy that prevents billing an EKG with an E/M visit?

NCCI procedure-to-procedure and medically unlikely edits are based on the date of service, not the encounter. A little more recommended reading: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...LNProducts/Downloads/How-To-Use-NCCITools.pdf

Thank you, I appreciate your assistance, jkyles. Ive actually accessed both of the links you had provided hence the reason I stated I'm unable to find NCCI/CCI modifier indicator edits for 93010 with outpatient/inpatient E/M codes😊... it was disappointing after all of the researching involved, downloading and searching those spreadsheet files, I was only able to find one NCCI edit for 93010 and 99211.

And yes, I'm aware NCCI procedure-to-procedure and medically unlikely edits are based on the date of service, not the encounter.

So, what I mean by not the same encounter is that CPT 93010 EKG denials were not billed together with an E/M code during same visit from same physician.

These 93010 bundling denials were done separately on same service dates of inpatient or outpatient E/M services from providers of the same specialty and different specialties.

These E/M codes already paid with modifier -25. So my question remains are there guidelines from any reputable online sources indicating that EKGs actually bundle with outpatient and inpatient E/M services on same service date or not?

Just need to know are these EKGs appropriately bundled or is it appropriate to append modifier -59 to bundled EKGs because we have A LOT of these denials. Need to know whether or not it is necessary to appeal these denials with BCBS.

I also accessed BCBS reimbursement guidelines online but still unable to find info regarding EKGs 93010 bundling with E/M services.

Last edited: