Wiki EKG for cancer

kathleeng

Guru
Best answers
Hi everyone, does anyone know if ordering an EKG can be part of the cancer workup or follow up care? Or if it will be covered for cancer (ie. breast, colon, stomach etc) if patient is having continuation of care? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Is there a medical reason for ordering the EKG?
Well I'm trying to find out if EKG's are ever part of the cancer work up. I know some things are done for pre-work up or after care, so I was wondering if EKG would ever fall into that category, possibly, or if it's not related to cancer care and requires an actual condition from the EKG LCD.

Any procedure must have medical necessity behind it, not "just because" or "standard workup". If there is no specific reason to do an EKG, it will not be covered.

Well I'm trying to find out if EKG's are ever part of the cancer work up. I know some things are done for pre-work up or after care, so I was wondering if EKG would ever fall into that category, possibly, or if it's not related to cancer care and requires an actual condition from the EKG LCD.
If the physician wants patient to have clearance for chemotherapy treatment, EKG could part of this, however the clearance is usually done by the patients cardiologist, or primary medicine. The oncologist would need to refer the patient.
Some chemotherapy treatments can affect the heart, and many other reasons.

EKG would be clearance for chemo with a follow up for EF (ejection fraction rate). Also pulmonary function tests would fall under same, but as stated above medical necessity must be shown - ex. history of cardiac issues, a cardiac toxic plan of treatment.

Echocardiograms are typically performed prior to patient receiving chemotherapy. The drugs administered during chemotherapy can affect heart function. A baseline echocardiogram is often performed.