Wiki EKG help

Best answers
I work for a multi-specialty clinic where they perform EKGs and interpret. They bill 93000, my question is I thought that I had read somewhere that the interpreting provider must sign the strip in order for it to be billed, but I can't find that now. Can someone please provide clarification on the rules for billing 93000 vs 93005?

Who is your Medicare carrier and do they have a LCD for ekg's? The LCD usually will provide information that is needed for EKG's. Also, there is a CMS MLN booklet available. I recommend searching your Medicare carriers website, it may have information on signatures.

Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity

The electrocardiogram (ECG, EKG) and ECG rhythm strip records the electrical activity of the heart throughout the cardiac cycle of contraction (depolarization) and relaxation (repolarization). The changes in electrical potential during the cardiac cycle are detected at the body surface and recorded on graph paper. The recording is reviewed by a physician who provides an interpretation and written report. An ECG may be reported as the technical aspect only, the interpretation and written report only, or both aspects together as one service.

An interpretation of any test, requires a signature

Good luck
Dolores