Wiki Ekg

Chelsea1

Guru
Best answers
Hello,
I have to bill normal EKG's that are done in the hospital even if they do not get paid. Does anyone know of a ICD 10 code for a normal EKG?

If no formal dx, use signs and symptoms that led to the EKG order to show the medical necessity.

The patient went into the hospital for paroxysmal atrial tachycardia. I believe the EKG's were a routine order when she went in and there are no signs or symptoms. She is now NSR but I can not find a code for a normal EKG and my Dr. wants me to bill it anyway.

Thanks for the help

The patient went into the hospital for paroxysmal atrial tachycardia. I believe the EKG's were a routine order when she went in and there are no signs or symptoms. She is now NSR but I can not find a code for a normal EKG and my Dr. wants me to bill it anyway.

Thanks for the help

Our cardiologists often read EKGs from outside institutions, and therefore don't have the context to provide signs or symptoms of why the test was ordered. We use Z13.6 (Encounter for screening for cardiovascular disorders) for normal EKGs.

Assigning a screening diagnosis when you don't know why a test was ordered may get your claims paid but it is not correct coding. In addition, I would recommend again this practice because it could cause a payment error or incorrect patient responsibility for plans that do not cover this as screening benefit if in fact the test was not actually a screening.

All diagnostic tests, as a requirement for coverage, must have an order and a rationale documented in the patient's record. If the organization sending these to you does not provide that information, the correct fix, though perhaps not always practical or easy, would be to work with them to get a process set up to get that information to you or give you access to the patient's records so that you can look this up.

Last edited:
Assigning a screening diagnosis when you don't know why a test was ordered may get your claims paid but it is not correct coding. In addition, I would recommend again this practice because it could cause a payment error or incorrect patient responsibility for plans that do not cover this as screening benefit if in fact the test was not actually a screening.

All diagnostic tests, as a requirement for coverage, must have an order and a rationale documented in the patient's record. If the organization sending these to you does not provide that information, the correct fix, though perhaps not always practical or easy, would be to work with them to get a process set up to get that information to you or give you access to the patient's records so that you can look this up.

These patients are having an EKG to determine whether or not they have a cardiac condition. How is that not a screening?