Wiki EM Codes

Sott3935

Best answers
I recently took the cpc exam and found out that I failed. I thought the EM section of the exam was going to be easy. The majority of the questions did not say detailed history, detailed examination, medical decesion of low complexity, problem focused examination, medical decison of high complexity. I do not remeber exactly what it said but it was not what I thought it would be.

I plan on taking the exam again in January and want to be prepared for this section. If these buzz words are not in the probem how do I decide what the code is? If somebody can please help me understand this I would appreciate it.

It has been years since my exam, and it had indicators on it such as, EPF hx/pe; etc. The only suggestion I can give is to look for time; new or established; and really read the question because there has to be an indication of the amount of data for hx, pe and mdm. They cannot expect you to count bullets on a question that doesn't give you all the data needed. Unless the test has changed and now you get actual office notes/etc???

My guess is that the questions, while vague, have the information in them, you may just need to do a little reading between the lines.

Best of luck!! You will get it next time!!!

Angela

The Test HAS changed

The test has changed and you are no longer spoon-fed the "detailed Hx, Ex Prob Foc Exam ... etc." You are expected to be able to determine the level from the scenario provided.

That being said, the best place to get practice is E-M Univeristy ...
http://emuniversity.com/index.html

You can sign up for the "case of the week" - no charge. And you can go through the case of the week archives for more scenarios. You have an opportunity to first code it yourself, and then you can look at the answers which are explained in detail.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC