Wiki emergency services

jodismith

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am trying to come up with an example of when you would use HCPCS modifier -ET (emergency services). Unfortunately I am drawing a complete blank. :( I have looked in every reference I have and this particular modifier is skipped over each time. Can anyone help me with a quick scenario? Thanks!

I am trying to come up with an example of when you would use HCPCS modifier -ET (emergency services). Unfortunately I am drawing a complete blank. :( I have looked in every reference I have and this particular modifier is skipped over each time. Can anyone help me with a quick scenario? Thanks!

This is what I found on Encoder Pro's explanation of the modifier:
(Append modifier ET to each ER encounter related service when the ER services are exempt from SNF consolidated billing and the service spans multiple dates of service.)

Hope this helps!

What I found says it is used for wound care in the ER when it is performed by a Wound care nurse. Another source stated it was used on dental extraction codes when performed as an emergency extraction. So wow! You open a whole big can o worms. I have no idea at this point when this modifer would be used and I have never used it. But it brings up interesting thoughts.

The only time I have ever used this modifier was for Northeast PA BCBS who requred that we append this to visits for patients who had a Major Medical plan and were seen in our Urgent Care for an injury. With this modifier, the insurance would then process the claim under their hospital benefits rather than their Medical portion and pay us directly rather than sending the check to the patient under their major medical benefits. BCBS never really told us the reasoning behind this so I have no idea why or for what reason you would use ET as we have not used it for anything else but for the above!