Wiki Emg/ncs help!

Atillema12

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,
I am new to EMG coding. I am struggling with Nerve conduction studies counting. My problem is with F-waves - I have physicians coming back stating they should be counted as a separate study. Please HELP!
How would you count the following:

SNC

Righ Sural-Ankle
Calf

MNC

Right Peroneal-EDB
Ankle
Fib head
Pop Fossa

F Wave

Right Tibial-AH

Please help! Would you count the F wave? Thank you in advance!

Is F-Wave Counted Separately?

The F-Wave is counted as part of the Nerve Conduction Studies and is not to be counted separately. On page 200, column 2 in the 2019 CPT Manual it notes "That for the purposes of coding, a single conduction study is defined as a sensory conduction test, a motor conduction test with or without an F-wave test, or an[sic] H-reflex test." My neurologists do not count the F-wave as a separate test because it is included in the NCS codes 95907-95913. If there is a neuromuscular junction test conducted (repetitive stimulation) that is a separate code that can be billed (95937).

I would count seven tests or 95910 (7-8 studies). As stated above the F-Wave is not counted because it is a metric of each muscle that is tested, not a test in itself. Do the physicians gain that much by counting it as an extra test? There can't be that much difference between a 95909 (4.2 RVU's) and a 95910 (5.51 RVU's).

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to EMG coding. I am struggling with Nerve conduction studies counting. My problem is with F-waves - I have physicians coming back stating they should be counted as a separate study. Please HELP!
How would you count the following:

SNC

Righ Sural-Ankle
Calf

MNC

Right Peroneal-EDB
Ankle
Fib head
Pop Fossa

F Wave

Right Tibial-AH

Please help! Would you count the F wave? Thank you in advance!

H tests and F tests included in studies and not counted