• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Emg/ncs help!

Atillema12

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,
I am new to EMG coding. I am struggling with Nerve conduction studies counting. My problem is with F-waves - I have physicians coming back stating they should be counted as a separate study. Please HELP!
How would you count the following:

SNC

Righ Sural-Ankle
Calf

MNC

Right Peroneal-EDB
Ankle
Fib head
Pop Fossa

F Wave

Right Tibial-AH

Please help! Would you count the F wave? Thank you in advance!

ankenycb@yahoo.com

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Is F-Wave Counted Separately?

The F-Wave is counted as part of the Nerve Conduction Studies and is not to be counted separately. On page 200, column 2 in the 2019 CPT Manual it notes "That for the purposes of coding, a single conduction study is defined as a sensory conduction test, a motor conduction test with or without an F-wave test, or an[sic] H-reflex test." My neurologists do not count the F-wave as a separate test because it is included in the NCS codes 95907-95913. If there is a neuromuscular junction test conducted (repetitive stimulation) that is a separate code that can be billed (95937).

I would count seven tests or 95910 (7-8 studies). As stated above the F-Wave is not counted because it is a metric of each muscle that is tested, not a test in itself. Do the physicians gain that much by counting it as an extra test? There can't be that much difference between a 95909 (4.2 RVU's) and a 95910 (5.51 RVU's).

Last edited: