Wiki Employment related questions

Best answers
Hi,
My name is Leena and i am a doctor ( Pediatrician) overseas but in US i choose to be a medical coder so that i can work from home.
So, i am new in this field and i have CPC -A certificate and completed Paracticode and now i got CPC certificate and meanwhile i came across COC accelerated course so i enrolled in it as when i looked in medical coding job requirements, there were things like OPPS and APS and APCs and i had no idea of it. Now i have basic understanding but there are some questions that i want to ask , if anyone can help me.
1, As a medical coder, what exactly i have to do? I mean do i need to enter code only( procedure and diagnosis) or do i need to fill claim forms as well or is it biller's job?
2, Do i need to fill in for revenue codes, occurrence codes, condition codes, APC codes etc ? If so , then where i can find there codes?
3, How many cases do i need to complete in a day?
4, Do i need to submit charges of services as well? Or they will appear on their own?
5, If there is any software that i have to look for it? If so, please suggest me one.
6, Is there any coding related material that i should look as well? please let me know.
Thank you

Welcome to coding doctor. Most of these questions will be answered by the type of coding work that you will be doing. Your employer should supply you with books and software. Basically a coders job is to make sure that all the codes billed to insurance are accurate and supported by documentation. There are two basic coding areas: E/M coding and surgery coding. I code orthopedic surgeries. So my job is to read the OP note and verify that all procedures listed have been correctly documented. Because surgical codes can bundle I have to decide if procedures bundle or not. I enter the CPT and ICD.10 codes in the computer for billing.