Encounter Anti Neoplasm therapy

Best answers
When the encounter is solely for the chemotherapy treatment, I understand that Z51.11 or Z51.12 should be the principle diag listed. My confusion begins when all the lab work is included on the same claim form. Does the Z code still need to be in the principle diag position instead of the neoplasm code? Will all the labs still pay with a Z code as prime diag? We are having an issue of header level diag versus line level diag. Also confused if it applies to Professional as well as Facility. I appreciate any feedback.

Best answers
Thank you so much for your assistance. Just one more thing. Is this documented any where? I'd love to be able to read the verbage that the Z code should be the first listed diag if the encounter is soley for the chemotherapy treatment regardless of other procedures/services done during that specific encounter. I can't seem to find anything that blantantly speaks to that.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Go to your coding guidelines.. first on the first page in the third paragraph you will see where it states that these guidelines are HIPAA mandated, next go to the chapter for Z codes and at the end of that chapter is a section titled z codes that only allowed first-listed. There is a list and you will see Z51.1 section is on this list.