Wiki Endovascular Revascularization

jenny112058

Best answers
Hi, I am a medical billing and coding student and having a hard time understanding Endovascular Revascularization. Can someone explain it to me using the following example please? Thanks!

A catheter is inserted and advanced to the left popliteal artery. An occlusion is found and an angioplasty performed. The catheter is then advanced to the peroneal artery, here the vessel is almost completely occluded. An angioplasty is performed with stent insertion.

Thank you! :confused:

Lucky for you to be new this year! The peripheral vascular revascularization codes have changed this year. It is much more easier to code as we went from 4-6 codes down to 1-3 and sometimes only one if you are working in the fem/pop area. If you have a 2011 CPT book, read starting on page 208. All the green text is the new and revised text for this year. It will really help you to read this and try to understand, it is a straightforward explanation.
The example you gave, cpt code 37226 would be all you would use for this procedure~ Stent of the femeropopliteal with or without PTA(open or percutaneous approach) Last year, the codes we used were 37205,36246,75960, etc....

Hope this will help you, is seems alot more complicated than it is.

Kris Felty, CPC, CCC

Kris, thank you for your reply. I did re-read the green section and got the answer correct. I was making it really harder than it was. So, thank you for your help!

Jenny

Wouldn't this situation use 37230 and 37224? The popliteal and peroneal arteries are in different territories. The peroneal gets angioplasty and stent placement (37230). The popliteal gets just angioplasty (37224). "When treating multiple territories in the same leg, one primary lower extremity revascularization code is used for each territory treated."

Yes, you are correct there are 2 territories treated, but the codes would be 37226 and 37230. Stent was inserted in each.

Kris Felty CPC, CCC