Wiki EP Device Clinic

leahlhaynie

Networker
Best answers
Hello!

Our office has some differences of opinions regarding charges for our ICD/PPM clinic, and I'd value some input.

According to the Medcare fee schedule, the technical component of the device checks require direct supervision. Our EP is not always in the office during the device clinic, though most checks are performed by a RN employed by the practice. Should the charge be split and the technical component charged under the physician who is in the building?

How do you handle the scheduled device check and office visit on the same date?

Thank you!

Leah

I am interested in hearing some opinions as well. I currently work in a Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Electrophysiology and Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery office setting.

We have a device clinic and over the last few years there have been various opinions and the answer has never been clear or consistent on the issues you mentioned.

I am also interested finding an answer to this scenario. Our practice is looking into running the device clinic by our own NP. I checked CMS fee schedule and it says for the "in-person" device check, a direct supervision is required for the technical component.

Can anyone help please?
Thank you,

Gloria