Wiki Epidural/Spinal for Labor/Delivery

jdibble

True Blue
Best answers
Trying to make heads or tails out of these codes - can someone please help! My anesthesiologist did an Epidural on one patient and wants me to use 01960. I think it should be 01967. Can someone explain the difference between the codes and which to use? :eek:

Also, what is the difference between an Epidural and a Spinal? And what would be the codes for Labor? How about a Spinal done for a patient for a repeat cesarean? :eek:

Any help would be appreciated - I need all I can get! :)

Thanks,

jdibble,

ASA code 01960 = anesthesia for vaginal delivery only
ASA code 01967 = anesthesia for labor AND planned vaginal delivery
I can't tell you which code is most appropriate as it would depend the documentation.

A spinal is an injection into the subarachnoid space. An epidural is an injection and/or catheter placement into the epidural space.

If you doctor places a spinal for the mode of anesthesia for a c-section (no labor) the ASA code is 01961.

Hope this helps.
Julie D, CPC

Julie - thanks for the response. I guess I am just confused by the terminology on the codes. I was looking for a code stating spinal or epidural for a C-section, thinking that a code stating Anesthesia for C-Section only meant that the patient was put under only. So I guess what I am asking is that the codes for Anesthesia refer to both Epidural/Spinals and for knocking the patient out?

Thank you for explaining this to me - I am trying to train myself as I was given anesthesia to code without warning and my part-time coder has never done this either. We are both confused together! :)