ER E/M Level

Best answers
I have a hard time in choosing between 99283 and 99284. Physician dictated a comprehensive HPI, Exam, and MDM is Moderate- New problem (Renal Mass, concerning for renal cell carcinoma) Data: Reviewed labs and CT and Risk: Moderate (patient is being scheduled for a radical nephrectomy next week)

Best answers
Does anyone have any tips on choosing between 99283 and 99284? I had another one where they dictated comprehensive HPI, Exam, and had MDM as Moderate. It was a new problem (Kidney stone with hydronephrosis and they decided to take the patient to surgery that day). When I read the description in the book for the 99284 it reads Usually, the presenting problems are of high severity, and require urgent evaluation by the physician. When I read urgent evaluation it makes me second guess myself.

prem_ponnuru

Networker
Best answers
HI,

There is no difference between a new problem and an established problem. In emergency room all problems are considered as new problems. Just for your information.

Thanks,

Prem

michellepilcher

Networker
Best answers
To bill an E/M in the Emergency Dept you must meet three of three requirements. A 99285 has a comprehensive history, comprehensive exam and high/complex medical decision making. If the provider documented a comprehensive history, comprehensive exam and moderate MDM, that leaves you with 99284 (detailed, detailed, moderate).