Wiki ER Physician Based Coding

coder21

Guru
Best answers
I have been coding ER charts on the facility side for many years. I thinking about switching to the Physician side. Do they use the same E/M codes or something else. Thanks for the help.

Same E/Ms?

Depends on what E/M's you speak of. I have done both sides and when doing facility, never used E/M's, only procedures....

When I did facility we used 99281-99285. So are you saying its the same for the physicican side?

Yes

Those are the codes :) I'm still mulling over why you'd be coding E/M's on the facility side, those are proside codes only... unless, your system needs those for internal stuff?

E/m 99281-99285 & Cc

These codes can be used for Hospital and Professional visit(s).:)

Thank you 808Coder . . . I haven't had the chance to review '09 CPT yet. Rumor had it that some Facility fee E/M might appear. Any truth to that?

Thanks.

Physician Based Coding

Thank you 808Coder . . . I haven't had the chance to review '09 CPT yet. Rumor had it that some Facility fee E/M might appear. Any truth to that?

Thanks.

Hi Kevin,

Never heard that. I do code for ED MD's who are employed by the hospital and we do split billing. As I understand there is a different fee based on the split billing style, but I cannot verify that since I don't know what the actual fee schedules are for a non-split style billing facility.

Have a great weekend!:)