Wiki Established patient question

coder25

Guru
Best answers
Hello all,

I am currently coding an established patient seen by one of our physicians last year for morbid obesity. The patient is seen in reevaluation for the morbid obesity by another physician in our practice this week.

My question is this, for the MDM under number of diagnosis would the morbid obesity still be est. problem (to examiner); worsening or is this a new problem to this physician?

Also the patient has comorbidities, however, doctor states them this way "morbid obesity is complicated by obstructive sleep apnea and GERD. He does not state if they are stable or worsening. Could these be counted or not??? I am leaning towards no, but would like other opinions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peggy

WPSMedicare states that all providers in the same group same specialty are considered the same provider, so they would call this and established problem if the providers are the same specialty. If they are different specialties then it would be a new problem.

I would code and count the other 2 chronic conditions. They would be considered stable unless otherwise documented.

Laura, CPC