Wiki Eustacian tube balloon dilation help!!!!!

Jaime2680

Contributor
Best answers
I am trying to find some help coding Tympanoplasty which is coded 69631 but ENT physician is also doing Eustacian Tube Dilation bilateral. Can I bill both together? I use 69799 unlisted middle ear CPT code for balloon dilation. The facility uses C9745. Medicaids are rejecting these as experimental on facility side and mine are denying as well some say global and some say experiemental. I am newer to coding these so any help will be much appreciated.

I forgot w
I am trying to find some help coding Tympanoplasty which is coded 69631 but ENT physician is also doing Eustacian Tube Dilation bilateral. Can I bill both together? I use 69799 unlisted middle ear CPT code for balloon dilation. The facility uses C9745. Medicaids are rejecting these as experimental on facility side and mine are denying as well some say global and some say experiemental. I am newer to coding these so any help will be much appreciated.

I forgot which site I saw this. Hopefully, It helps you.

" Is it appropriate to bill both 69799( dilation of Eustachian tubes) with 69436(insertion of ear tubes) our physician has performed dilation of Eustachian tubes and also inserted ear tubes. We have used(69421) as a comparison code for 69799- because cpt code 69400 has been terminated. Please advise.

It would depend on how your physician is performing the dilation. Is he/she doing the dilation via balloon using a nasal endoscope or is he/she performing the dilation through the incision in the tympanic membrane where the ear tube will be placed?

If you are using the Acclarent system, then you can bill both procedures. They are two different operative approaches using two different sets of instruments. Just be prepared to educate your carrier on the dilation procedure. You may want to consider adding modifier 59 or XU to the Eustachian tube dilation procedure to indicate that it is a separate procedure. Also, if you are performing the dilation by nasal endoscopy, you may want to consider comparing the unlisted 69799 code to a nasal endoscopy code (31231-31237 or one of the endoscopy codes with sinus balloon dilation, 31295-31297). I would query your surgeon on which of those codes is closest in terms of work, time, intensity, and go from there. "

Last edited: