• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Evaluation & Management

Best answers
Hi,

For this below information How many HPI Elements we can consider ?

Mild persistent chronic headache for 2 weeks

atopjian

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I would say 5 HPI...
Mild=Severity
Persistant=Timing
Chronic=Quality
Headache=Location
2 weeks=Duration

DeeCPC

Guru
Best answers
I would say 5 HPI...
Mild=Severity
Persistant=Timing
Chronic=Quality
Headache=Location
2 weeks=Duration
I wouldn't consider chronic a quality. Throbbing, aching, heavy, hot, sharp, dull...all qualities or descriptions of the condition or symptom.

Chronic as oppsosed to acute-these are about duration.

Dee
CPC,CPMA,CPCD

ollielooya

True Blue
Best answers
Dee,
Thanks for pointing this out. So in the context of the simple HPI line statement "chronic" " is only supportive of the "duration" aspect? This HPI consists of 4 elements which is enough to support an extended HPI with the understanding that it's only part of HPI process as ROS and PMSH still needs to be taken into consideration. ---Suzanne