Wiki Event monitors

coding4fun

Guru
Best answers
We are a multi-specialty practice who offers our patient's a variety of cardiac services to include Event Monitors. I would like to use 93228 + 93229. We place the unit on the patient, provide hook-up instructions, education regarding the unit, as well as 24 hour communication with the pt in case that the monitoring company detects an event. The physician also performs the interruption and report of these services. Can anyone offer any insight on the coding selection so that I can be assured that I have selected the correct coding for our patient.

Thanks for any and all input. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

We are a multi-specialty practice who offers our patient's a variety of cardiac services to include Event Monitors. I would like to use 93228 + 93229. We place the unit on the patient, provide hook-up instructions, education regarding the unit, as well as 24 hour communication with the pt in case that the monitoring company detects an event. The physician also performs the interruption and report of these services. Can anyone offer any insight on the coding selection so that I can be assured that I have selected the correct coding for our patient.

Thanks for any and all input. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

93228 and 93229 are for monitors that transmit automatically to a monitoring company. 93228 is reported by the physician's office, and 93229 is for services provided by the monitoring company. You can't bill both codes.

93270 and 93272 are for event recorders that record the patient's heart rhythm when they are activated by the patient. They are used to correlate the symptoms experienced by the patient with an underlying rhythm abnormality. It doesn't sound like this is the type of device you are asking about.