Wiki Excise piece of skin

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
Dr. gave me CPT 17111 for the above.
Here is a description of the procedure: Subcutaneous tissues were carefully divided. The intracutaneous mass identified and included in this incision to allow for it to be ellipsed out. There appeared to be a retained piece of gravel rather than foreign body in this area. Skin incision was performed and subcutaneous tissues were carefully divided. The skin was sent to Pathology.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Removal of a foreign body from the subcutaneous tissue by incision is coded with either 10120 or 10121. I'm not sure why the provider means by a 'retained piece of gravel rather than a foreign body' - gravel is a normally a foreign body. Was this the re-exploration of a previous surgical site? Or was this typo?

Absent any additional information, I would choose 10120 based on what you've shared here as there isn't anything to support coding this as a complex removal or other code.

I was thinking 10120 as well. I wasn't understanding why she was thinking 17111 so it was throwing me off. I really appreciate your insight.
Thank you.