Wiki excision excessive skin and liposuction

elbeRN

Best answers
I need some help coding for the following proposed procedure. Below is the procedure my provider is going to perform and she wants 15832 and 15879 coded (all work to be done on the thighs). The codes do not bundle, but I don't believe it is correct to bill both for the same area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The patient's persistent deformity and weight will be best addressed with liposuction. She would need liposuction especially of the posterior thighs where she has most of the localized dependent, heavy, subcutaneous tissue. This can the be extended medially. At that time we might be able to excise a wedge of skin medially where she has the redundant skin. The procedure will take approximately four hours. We will start with the patient prone and then turn her supine. The appearance of the skin may be worse after surgery. We are not going to be able to make "thin thighs." The procedure will debulk the excess skin and as such will remove the dependency of the skin and weight. She may need future procedures in order to address any excess skin or redundant skin as a result that we may not be able to correct. Photographs were taken.

You would use the 15832 ( -50 if bilateral.) The code clearly states "includes lipectomy" so you wouldn't code separately for the liposuction. Hope that helps.

That is what I thought. However, my provider states because "lipectomy" is the cutting out off fat and "liposuction" is the use of suction, that both would be billed. Thank so much!