Excision of fibroid of vulva

cubbiecatz

Networker
Best answers
I am in need of help for a cpt code for Excision of leiomyoma of right vulva. I am wondering if 56630 will fit this scenario.

I have my codes for the other procedures, but this is my first time seeing a vulvar leiomyoma.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE:

The patient was taken to the operating room where she was identified as xxx. She was laid in the supine position given general LMA anesthesia. Legs were placed in the Allen stirrups she was prepped and draped in usual sterile manner. A timeout was performed indicating the above-named procedure.

The right vulva was inspected and what was felt to be a Bartholin cyst initially, turned out to be a leiomyoma of the right labia majora. An incision on the right labia was made from the anterior portion of the right labia posterior to and lateral to the anus. The underlying fibroid was excised. Dr. Brestel had been called to the operating room for second pair of hands. The underlying area was bleeding and this was controlled by sewing with 2-0 Vicryl the bulbocavernosus muscle and capsule back together in interrupted sutures. The transversus peroneus was also sewed back together with 2-0 Vicryl in interrupted sutures. The subcutaneous tissues were then sewn back together from anterior to posterior with 2-0 Vicryl in interrupted sutures.. The external anal sphincter was then sewed back together posteriorly and interrupted sutures of 2-0 Vicryl. The subcutaneous tissues were then reapproximated using 3-0 Vicryl. The skin was closed with interrupted sutures of 3-0 Vicryl. There was noted to be good hemostasis.

Attention turned to the condyloma and skin tags. On a power setting of 8 W continuous, CO2 laser was utilized to vaporize the skin tags followed by the posterior perineal flap condyloma, the perineal raise condyloma in the anal condyloma. Perfect hemostasis was noted. This completed the procedure. The patient was then cleaned off, extubated and transported to recovery in stable condition.

Thank you, Cathy

Last edited:
I am in need of help for a cpt code for Excision of leiomyoma of right vulva. I am wondering if 56630 will fit this scenario.

I have my codes for the other procedures, but this is my first time seeing a vulvar leiomyoma.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE:

The patient was taken to the operating room where she was identified as Lisa Smith. She was laid in the supine position given general LMA anesthesia. Legs were placed in the Allen stirrups she was prepped and draped in usual sterile manner. A timeout was performed indicating the above-named procedure.

The right vulva was inspected and what was felt to be a Bartholin cyst initially, turned out to be a leiomyoma of the right labia majora. An incision on the right labia was made from the anterior portion of the right labia posterior to and lateral to the anus. The underlying fibroid was excised. Dr. Brestel had been called to the operating room for second pair of hands. The underlying area was bleeding and this was controlled by sewing with 2-0 Vicryl the bulbocavernosus muscle and capsule back together in interrupted sutures. The transversus peroneus was also sewed back together with 2-0 Vicryl in interrupted sutures. The subcutaneous tissues were then sewn back together from anterior to posterior with 2-0 Vicryl in interrupted sutures.. The external anal sphincter was then sewed back together posteriorly and interrupted sutures of 2-0 Vicryl. The subcutaneous tissues were then reapproximated using 3-0 Vicryl. The skin was closed with interrupted sutures of 3-0 Vicryl. There was noted to be good hemostasis.

Attention turned to the condyloma and skin tags. On a power setting of 8 W continuous, CO2 laser was utilized to vaporize the skin tags followed by the posterior perineal flap condyloma, the perineal raise condyloma in the anal condyloma. Perfect hemostasis was noted. This completed the procedure. The patient was then cleaned off, extubated and transported to recovery in stable condition.

Thank you, Cathy
Vulvar leiomyomas are very rare and are frequently initially identified as a Bartholin's glad cyst which was the case here. However, 56630 represents a radical vulvectomy, which was not performed (a partial radical vulvectomy includes partial or complete removal of a large, deep segment of skin from the following structures: abdomen and groin, labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, mons veneris, and terminal portions of the urethra, vagina, and other vulvar organs). You may have intended to type 56620, which is simple partial vulvectomy. That is certainly one option as the size of the lesion is not indicated in this op note (but might be in the path report). But keep in mind that they did remove a discrete fibroid, not an area of vulva (vulvar skin and fat tissues along with the lesion) and so coding this as 11420-11426 would be a more accurate code that matches the work done. They also did a layered closure so you could also bill an intermediate repair code with this as well is you got the 114xx code route (12041-12047). And of course you can code separately for the laser removal of the condyloma.

Vulvar leiomyomas are very rare and are frequently initially identified as a Bartholin's glad cyst which was the case here. However, 56630 represents a radical vulvectomy, which was not performed (a partial radical vulvectomy includes partial or complete removal of a large, deep segment of skin from the following structures: abdomen and groin, labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, mons veneris, and terminal portions of the urethra, vagina, and other vulvar organs). You may have intended to type 56620, which is simple partial vulvectomy. That is certainly one option as the size of the lesion is not indicated in this op note (but might be in the path report). But keep in mind that they did remove a discrete fibroid, not an area of vulva (vulvar skin and fat tissues along with the lesion) and so coding this as 11420-11426 would be a more accurate code that matches the work done. They also did a layered closure so you could also bill an intermediate repair code with this as well is you got the 114xx code route (12041-12047). And of course you can code separately for the laser removal of the condyloma.
Thank you so much Melanie. I'm still waiting on the path report. When I was thinking about the vulvectomy option I didn't take into account it wasn't part of the vulva, but a fibroid. I would be happy if I could have just 1/4 of the information in your brain.