Wiki Excision of lesions help

gr8gal61

Guru
Best answers
Is there something or someone that can explain the correct way to code excision of lesions? I've read up on it and I'm getting confused on the calculation of sizes and malignant vs benign. I am a remote coder for a multi-specialty and between the general surgery & dermatology....I am lacking and need some guidance if anyone would be so kind to share their knowledge, experience and or where I can go to find the coding for dummies 101 in this area.

Thank you

Is there something or someone that can explain the correct way to code excision of lesions? I've read up on it and I'm getting confused on the calculation of sizes and malignant vs benign. I am a remote coder for a multi-specialty and between the general surgery & dermatology....I am lacking and need some guidance if anyone would be so kind to share their knowledge, experience and or where I can go to find the coding for dummies 101 in this area.

Thank you

The excision codes are based on excused diameter, the provider must document either the size of the excision or the lesion size plus the margin. If the matching is stated as say 2 CM margin the you add 2 CM to each side of the lesion, so a lesion with a diameter of 3 CM would be 3 + 2 + 2 for a 7 CM excised diameter. The malignant vs benign comes from the path report. You cannot code a skin lesion excision without a path report, even uncertain behavior can only be determined by path report. You need only the procedure note and a path report to code lesion excisions.