Wiki Excision of Thornwaldt cyst

AN2114

Guru
Best answers
What CPT code do you use for Thornwaldt Cyst excision? CPT code 42999 is coming up and I'm also pulling up CPT code 42806 which is for a biopsy. Or can I use 42808 even though is says lesion of pharynx and the thornwaldt cyst is in the nasopharynx? Is there a cpt code for this procedure? or is it just the unlisted code?

my understanding, is that 42808 is the correct code.

per https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/body/21869-pharynx:

ANATOMY​

What are the parts of the pharynx?​

The pharynx anatomy includes:

• Nasopharynx: The top part of the throat connects to the nasal cavities (nose) and lets air pass through.
  • Oropharynx: The middle part of the throat connects to the oral cavity (mouth). It allows air, food and fluid to pass through.
  • Laryngopharynx (or hypopharynx): The bottom part of the throat is near the larynx (or voice box). It regulates the passage of air to the lungs and food and fluid to the esophagus.
The pharynx also contains:

• Tonsils: There are three sets of tonsils. They are located at the back of the throat and base of the tongue. Tonsils are the body’s first defense against infection.
  • Auditory (eustachian) tubes: These two tubes connect the ears to the throat. They equalize pressure and help drain fluid.