Wiki Excisional Debridement

Michele1229

Networker
Best answers
We are debating back and forth on codes for the below procedure.

11005 or 11043/11046

Post op dx: Necrosis of abdominal wall

Patient taken to operating suite. Time out pause to confirm process. Wound VAC taken off and area irrigated. The wound measured approx. 60cm by 20cm. There was necrotic nonviable elements involving the far right lateral abdomen and left lateral. These areas were sharply excised using Metzenbaum scissors and a sharp scapel. This helps assure viability of the tissue as evidenced by bleeding. Hemostasis was assured with electrocautery. The nonviable elements of tissue involved the skin, subQ tissue and portions of underlying fascia - no muscle. The wound was found to be viable. Specimen passed to Path. Wound packed with Kerlix.

I was leaning towards 11043/11046 since no muscle was involved and even though he says necrotic tissue - he doesn't say necrotizing infection like the 11005 states. So I am thinking there is a difference because the 11043/11046 lay description talks about necrotic tissue but not necrotizing infection.

One other question.... in ICD the word "and" can mean "and/or".... is that the same for CPT?
The 11005 code states muscle and fascia whereas the 11043 states muscle and/or fasica - that was another reason I chose the one code pair.

Hello Michele1229,

I agree with using CPT codes 11043 & 11046 as I read the and/or as either both muscle and fascia & muscle or fascia as single. I would not use CPT 11005 as it mentions both muscle and fascia.