Wiki Exclude 1 note

Birju1992

New
Best answers
what if both the ICD 10 code having exclude 1 note for each other so can we code both together? for example T07 and T14 both having exclude 1 note for each other and same for J44.9 and J42

Last edited by a moderator:
what if both the ICD 10 code having exclude 1 note for each other so can we code both together? for example T07 and T14 both having exclude 1 note for each other and same for J44.9 and J42
Exclude 1 notations mean they cannot be coded together. Exclude 2 means they can be coded together, but usually aren't. Is that what you're asking?

Exclude 1 notations mean they cannot be coded together. Exclude 2 means they can be coded together, but usually aren't. Is that what you're asking?
yes i know that but my question is what if both codes having exclude 1 note for each other. Like T07 having T14 under Exclude 1 and T14 have T07 under exclude 1 note so in this case what should we do?

J42 can't be coded with J44.9 since bronchitis is included with COPD, so adding J42 to J44.9 would mean that bronchitis is coded twice which is incorrect coding. Same with the other codes.
but if you see J42 having exclude 1 note for J44.9 and J44.9 have exclude 1 note for J42 so both the condition excluding each other

yes i know that but my question is what if both codes having exclude 1 note for each other. Like T07 having T14 under Exclude 1 and T14 have T07 under exclude 1 note so in this case what should we do?
You would code to the higher specificity. However, it would be your judgement to decide which is the "right" code to use as a coder. My providers sometimes choose the wrong code, so it's my job to review their encounter notes to make sure everything is correct.